Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Black Tattoo -Sam Enthoven



Jack Farrell never thought that he would end up in Hell. Certainly not when he was still alive. And definitely not by choice. But that's exactly where he does end up-in one of Hell's prison cells, no less, with only a giant two-headed tapeworm for conversation.


But what else can he do? Jack's best friend, Charlie, is in serious trouble. An ancient demon called the Scourge is using Charlie to bring about it's evil ends-which, unfortunately, involves the destruction of the entire universe.


Now Jack and the butt-kicking, sword-wielding Esme must contend with floating sharks, moving jelly, oversized centipedes, gladiator pits, and vomiting bats, all for the sake of saving Charlie from the Scourge. And, hopefully, saving the world from total and utter annihilation.



This was a great book, recommended to me by a friend. It had the perfect combination of amazing, funny characters, butt-kicking, and teenage awkewardness!
The plot was good, although one could hardly say it was completely original (there are a lot of "evil demon escapes and tries to destroy the world" books out there!). I loved all of the characters (even the "bad" ones!), especially the "bat" (Chinj) that "vomits"! This book was also funny, which made it even better because lots of the books I've read like this are more matter-a-fact, trying to keep you interested with a confusing plot. Well, that usually works too, I must admit, although I have to say, I like this style of writing better.
In short, this was a great book, and a great recommendation for me, and anyone else who likes this kind of book too!

3 comments:

  1. I know! It was awesome! And I liked the Chinj too :) he/she (I really dont remember) has a really...unique job :P and I do agree, the characters were great and although the plot was predictable at times, I still enjoyed the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellie, Here's the link to a teen book blog I think you'll like
    Sara's Book Journey

    ReplyDelete